Friday, May 10, 2013

Idyllwild to Big Bear Lake



Climb out of Idyllwild


In the clouds






My campsite for the night. Amazing views of clouds billowing over the ridge. At around 7,000' elevation it was quite cold.


200 mile marker


Another rattlesnake - I didn't inadvertantly summon this one. I also didn't hit it with a rock, I was able to go around.


Ziggy and Bear's place - They're trail angels that live right on the trail and host dozons of hikers every night. Here are a few new arrivals enjoying the mandatory footbath.


This photo was taken from Ziggy and the Bear's backyard. You're looking at CA Highway 10, the wind farms that fill that valley, and the mountain range that I descended the day before. My campsite from a few pictures up is right in the clouds there.  


Look at those ears!


Nice camouflage, sir.


Biggest rattler I've seen.


Wonder if this picture is related to the one above it...


Mile 250!


This is a retirement home for Hollywood animals. There was also a tiger. The PCT winds right by.


The Big Bear Hostel in Big Bear Lake does some great advertising/trail magic. They set up a lazy boy on the trail with information about their accomodations. They also had coolers with soda, cookies, and oranges. Not so surprisingly, I went to them when I hit town and I write this message from their computer.


Of course I ate all that in one sitting.

4 comments:

  1. Loving the pictures, Noah! I was telling Vince how jealous I am of you...how I would love to do what you are doing. Then I realized I would be able to handle it for about 2 weeks before I gave up. So amazed by you! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make that two jealous people. On a mountain...above the clouds...crazy good! And yes, the pictures are beyond amazing. Just cannot imagine what it is like in person. Will do our best to follow your bolg while on our trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the wildlife pictures! That lizard is so cool! And what an epic breakfast, I'm super proud of you for finishing it all haha :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sending bacon in the next food shipment.
    -Youse Father

    ReplyDelete