Sunday, May 5, 2013

Gear Changes

I made two substitutions in Idyllwild. I replaced my blow up Thermarest because it sprung a leak and I woke up on the ground for 5 days. I could have patched it but I elected to buy a Z-lite instead. It's lighter, more durable, and warmer. I cowboy camped on it last night and I love it.

I also replaced my Trangia alcohol stove with a lighter, smaller setup. I originally chose the Trangia because it seemed tougher but there was a weight cost there. I've watched other folks use these tiny home made ones with great success so I built one last night. It cost about $5 for the fence wire, PBR can, and fuel holder can.









1 comment:

  1. Taking notes on all this. Someone's talking me into actual backpacking on the Finger Lakes Trail. This is real wilderness, almost 8 miles from ths nearest civilization.

    ReplyDelete