Saturday, September 14, 2013

Oregon


I had a blast at my step brother Matt's wedding and got to spend some quality time with the family so I returned to the trail refreshed and ready for the last 940 miles. I had heard that August is Oregon's driest month and large thunder and lightning storms are rare. This was not my initial experience. Much of Oregon was hit with large scale storms that often included rain and even hail in some spots. The good news was that the terrain is incredibly flat and covering at least 30mi/day was easy.

The first major attraction was Crater Lake, truly a gem of the trail, and despite the overcast skies and ominous clouds I thoroughly enjoyed my visit. I took a break in Bend, OR and was hosted by Mike and Kathy Williams. The 4 avid readers of this blog may recall that I met these folks at the Glen Aulin High Camp in Yosemite and they invited me to stay with them when I hit Bend. I took them up on the offer and they showed me a great time that included some of this excellent beer town's most excellent beer.

The Northern half of Oregon was drastically different than the Southern. In the High Sierra the trail traversed a different mountain pass each day. Northern Oregon gave us a new volcano or two each day. As soon as I hiked around one, another would come into view. This rugged, volcanic landscape was unlike anything I've ever seen before and absolutely blew me away. I got through Oregon in a little over two weeks, as I was attempting to beat the bad weather in Washington...check the next post to see how that played out!




The inside of trees


Between the smoke and clouds I couldn't see a thing


The Oregon PCT goes through many burn areas


Crater Lake!


The island in the middle is referred to as "The Wizard"


Two hours later it hailed




Looks like a cartoon Kaiser roll


In Oregon, most of my resupply stops took place at resorts since the trail doesn't go through many towns. This was one of them, with a great wooden fish to boast!


Many thanks to Heidi and her wonderful family for the hospitality at Shelter Cove!




One of the PCT's few shelters




In Bend, OR you can go to this gas station and get your growler filled with any of these excellent local beers


Obsidian fields near the Sisters


Massive obsidian boulder


Add caption


Starting around the Sisters area the trail was often cut through lava fields


Lava fields with the Sisters in the background






Interesting trail magic...


Another burn area near Three Fingered Jack







Mt. Jefferson


This was my view of Mt. Jefferson from my tent one morning. I camped at a high lake right next to the massive volcano. Huckleberries top off my granola breakfast. Hiking is tough.


Mt. Jeffereson




Some seriously unexpected trail magic to break up a 35mi day - thanks so much Kelly!


Timberline Lodge was an awesome stop. It was built in the 30s as a WPA project and is beautifully done. Lots of beautiful stone, timber and metalwork. They also had the best breakfast buffet I've ever experienced.

No comments:

Post a Comment