Friday, July 5, 2013

Tuolumne to Truckee

This was an interesting section. The first few days took me through Yosemite which ended up being my most challenging days on the PCT yet. It rained for the first day and a half which caused stream levels to increase dramatically. Stream fords became more difficult and what are normally small creeks bisecting the trail became serious obstacles that often spilled down the trail for several hundred feet. The third day was beautiful and sunny but the downside was that a hungry swarm of mosquitoes hatched and attacked the entire day without mercy. Meals were eaten in my tent and my head net was on nearly all day. Sonora Pass was a sight for sore eyes and it also marked the end of me and Brandon's 2009 PCT adventure. The next 76 miles to Echo Lake were familiar to me and I had multiple deja vu moments during those three days.

I also had an incredible amount of trail magic and random acts of kindness since Tuolumne. The following amazing people reached out and I want to thank them all:

- Ranger(Mike) and Kathy for making it possible for me to eat a surprise dinner and breakfast at the historic Glen Aulin High Sierra camp in Yosemite. Hope to have a beer with you folks in Bend and maybe even Vermont!

- Tony and Loma - After a brief conversation these generous folks offered me a ride from Kennedy Meadows up a very steep, windy road back to Sonora Pass one night. I declined, explaining that I didn't have everything ready yet and I planned on leaving the next morning. The next morning I was beginning to regret declining their offer as I was having trouble hitching since there were no cars. Then Tony and Loma pulled up - they decided to drive back to the campground to see if I was trying to hitch because they wanted to surprise me!

- Tim, Jenny, and the boys - this great family had the RV next to my camp site at Kennedy Meadows. They invited me to their camp fire and I learned a new take on Smores - Reese's PB cups instead of Hershey's. Brilliant.

- Thanks to Grant & Eddie, California wine makers that shared a bottle of their California state fair gold medal winning Cabernet Sauvignon at Baxter Pass.

- The Cummings and Niles family at Donner Pass.  These folks welcomed me and two other hikers into their home and their lives for two days. They were warm and generous and I can't think of a better way to have spent the 4th of July. Many many thanks!

- There were also official trail angels at Sonora Pass and Ebbett's Pass. I was spoiled with fresh fruit, hot dogs, beer, and baked goods. The rangers at Carson Pass also gave out fresh fruit. Many thanks to those folks.

While I'm thanking people I should also include some important people back home that make my life out here much easier. My dad handles my resupply boxes and my mom and girlfriend never fail to deliver fantastic snack packages. Other friends and family members have also surprised me with food packages: Amy Ventura in Wrightwood, Rae and Greg in Independence, and Laura and Vince in Tuolumne. Thanks to you all!

If anything I've written is inspiring to you, be sure to go out and make some one else's day with a random act of kindness. It's happened to me so much lately that I feel compelled to encourage people to pass it along!





Not many views in Yosemite today




Creeks take the trail sometimes


Great trail masonry


Finally, day 3 in Yosemite and some sunshine!


1,000 miles


Sonora Pass




Snow crossings on Sonora Pass




Dramatic storm clouds forming




Don't worry mom, I was low and surrounded by trees while photographing this


That's Kermit, a PCT trial angel with his VW bus in the background. His daughter is hiking the trail this year and he and his wife are following her north with their bus and helping her and other hikers out.


Dinner at sunset on Aloha Lake




Wine makers Grant and Eddie opening up a bottle of their California state fair gold medal winning Cabernet Sauvignon. They gave us a tasting at Baxter Pass.


Letting the wine breathe in my Sierra pot




The bottom of the moss marks that winter's highest snow level


Woof!


Part of the family I stayed with at Donner Pass overlooking Donner Lake where we watched the 4th of July fireworks display.


All the boats congregated on the West shore of Donner Lake for the fireworks display.

1 comment:

  1. The adventurous Western names car makers choose for pickup trucks seem pretty trivial compared to the actual places. May as well call a truck the "Penfield LX".

    ReplyDelete