Saturday, June 22, 2013

Independence to Tuolumne Meadows

This section was my absolute favorite so far. The High Sierra was everything I expected and more. The weather was perfect. Each day I had to climb over one or two passes before descending back down into a valley. This year's snow levels are lower than normal so I didn't have to contend with miles of snow before and after passes. That meant I got through this section days quicker than I may have in previous years. I camped above 10,000' most nights, often near alpine lakes full of little trout.

These two were hitch hiking out of Independence when two fishermen asked if they'd like to join them for a bit before getting dropped off back on the trail. They agreed and ended up returning to the trail with two golden trout completely skinned and gutted. I ended up hitching a ride with them and the fishermen and got a taste of their dinner. Wild onions from the trail complemented the dish nicely, as did the background scenery!


Frosty and Glocks on Glen Pass


This is a Jolly Rancher with little ants embedded in it. They apparently got stuck when it melted a bit and their bodies were entombed when it solidified. 




The PCT becomes the JMT from Mt. Whitney to Yosemite


Wild onions are abundant on this section of the trail. 






Hikers from other years had miles of snow like this


The glory of the High Sierra




The ascent up Muir Pass, the most difficult pass of them all


Muir Hut, the shelter on Muir Pass. Beautiful masonry.


Some of the clearest water I've ever seen. It looks tropical, but doesn't quite feel that way...


My campsite on Evolution Lake. Can't get any better!

My first real stream ford of the High Sierra. Not that intense because of our low snow year. It only came up to my knees, but it sure was frigid. Mosquitoes also swarmed me as I strapped on my Tevas and rolled up my pants to prepare for the cross.




Frigid morning - the dew freezes if you camp near lakes above 10,000ft!




Sibling picture - Kate and Dan overlooking Shadow Lake on the JMT. This was our dinner spot.


Kate and I pulled up the bug nets just long enough to snap a picture


Thousand Island Lake

No comments:

Post a Comment