Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Final Gear List

I was never an ounce counter and my base weight was never incredibly low. It probably fluctuated between 15-17lb during the trip, depending on the section. My gear changed a lot throughout the hike. The first few weeks saw the most change, as I sent home a number of things I didn't need. I also picked up some stuff along the way. Here's a list of the items I kept with me for the entire hike or at least a large section:

The Big Three:

Pack - Mammut Creon Light 45 - Lasted an entire thru hike and only cost $110. Consider this as an alternative to the popular Osprey Exos model.

Sleeping Bag - I moved from a down EMS 20 degree bag to a synthetic Marmot 32 degree bag about halfway through the hike.

Tent - YAMA's Terraform double wall system. Ground sheet was a section of 3mm painter's plastic. Totally waterproof and surprisingly durable.

Clothing:
-Patagonia Cap 2 base layer (sleep shirt on cold nights as well as a less stinky "going into town" shirt)
-Patagonia wind shirt (great lightweight layer)
-MEC Synthetic down jacket (Bounced from NorCal to central WA)
-Synthetic hiking T-shirt (for Oregon and Washington since it was mostly shady with no bugs when I passed through)
-Long sleeve hiking shirt (In California for sun and bug protection)
-2 pairs mid weight Darn Tough socks
-Athletic shorts (OR and WA)
-Pants (CA)
-Rain pants (OR and WA)
-Rain coat (I didn't carry it the whole trip but I should have)
-Thermasilk leggings (amazing to sleep in, weigh almost nothing)
-Mosquito net (Started carrying it in the High Sierra)
-Wide brim hat (CA)
-Baseball cap (OR and WA)
-Turtle Fur Fleece Liner hat (sleeping and occasionally hiking in the cold)
-Sunglasses (must have item!)
-Merrel Moab Ventilators (these boots go for 1,000mi easily, especially if you seam seal them)
-Teva sandals (great for High Sierra stream crossings and camp/town shoes)



Cooking - I started with an alcohol stove but reverted back to the Pocket Rocket canister stove for the convenience. Fuel availability was never an issue. Cooked in a 3oz sierra pot. I always carried a few ounces of hot sauce and olive oil as well.

Misc:
- Tiny multitool
- Journal and Halfmile maps
- Sharpee for writing hitch hiking signs
- Plastic trowel
- Headlamp
- First aid supplies

No comments:

Post a Comment